Lectures, Excursions & Events
News and Features
- Members' Night programme
The programme for Members' Night on May 11 has now been finalised.
- Discover John Muir website
The Discover John Muir website contains information about the life of John Muir and events being held to celebrate his 179th birthday.
- New dinosaur classification promotes Scottish fossil
A cat-sized Scottish fossil has been proposed as a possible common dinosaur ancestor in a study that could revolutionise dinosaur classification.
- Proceedings now available on website
All the society's Proceedings from Session 106 (1963-1964) on are now available on the website.
- Anniversaries page now updated
The Anniversaries page in the website's Archive section now contains entries for the anniversary years for the current session.
Membership of the society provides:
- An annual programme of illustrated lectures of interest to both amateur and professional geologists
- Specialist-led field excursions to localities of geological significance
- Newsletters, society proceedings and the Scottish Journal of Geology
- Discount on books and published guides of geological interest
- Access to our own library and the University of Glasgow library
Welcome to the Geological Society of Glasgow
The Geological Society of Glasgow was founded in 1858 – the year that Darwin and Wallace presented the idea of Natural Selection!
Existing members will be familiar with the website. For newcomers, I would recommend the Local Rocks section. Here our website team have assembled an excellent introduction to the geology of the Glasgow area, with its diverse mixture of rocks and geological history.
The society has a programme of monthly lectures, running from October to May, on topics by leading experts in their fields. We also run field excursions from April to September.
Please feel free to attend our meetings. You will be made most welcome and at the social session following the lecture you can talk to the lecturer and meet society members. Perhaps you will decide to join us in the society. We look forward to meeting you.