Lectures, Excursions & Events
- Dynamic Earth October programme
Sat 1 Oct 2016 |11:00 - Sun 23 Oct 2016 |16:00
Sun 2 Oct 2016 |10:00
- Earth Science Week at North West Highlands Geopark
Sat 8 Oct 2016 |12:00 - Sat 15 Oct 2016 |14:30
- The Great Dying: what happened 250 million years ago? (lecture)
Thu 13 Oct 2016 |19:30
- Cave deposits (speleothems) as archives of past environments and climates (lecture)
Thu 10 Nov 2016 |19:30
News and Features
- Changes to lecture programme
The details for the December and February lectures for the new session have been changed from those originally advertised.
- Supplement to Madeira field guide now available
A new supplement to the Madeira field guide reflects changes to the island's topography and recently published geological information.
- Lecture programme for 2016-2017
The society's lecture programme for the 2016-2017 session has now been arranged.
- Friends of Hugh Miller newsletter
The summer 2016 newsletter from The Friends of Hugh Miller is now available.
- New page for excursion itineraries
A new page has been created with links to all the excursion itineraries published by the society that are available on the website.
Membership of the society provides:
- An annual programme of illustrated lectures of interest to both amateur and professional geologists
- Specialist-led field excursions to localities of geological significance
- Newsletters, society proceedings and the Scottish Journal of Geology
- Discount on books and published guides of geological interest
- Access to our own library and the University of Glasgow library
Welcome to the Geological Society of Glasgow
The Geological Society of Glasgow was founded in 1858 – the year that Darwin and Wallace presented the idea of Natural Selection!
Existing members will be familiar with the website. For newcomers, I would recommend the Local Rocks section. Here our website team have assembled an excellent introduction to the geology of the Glasgow area, with its diverse mixture of rocks and geological history.
The society has a programme of monthly lectures, running from October to May, on topics by leading experts in their fields. We also run field excursions from April to September.
Please feel free to attend our meetings. You will be made most welcome and at the social session following the lecture you can talk to the lecturer and meet society members. Perhaps you will decide to join us in the society. We look forward to meeting you.